Pages

Friday, February 4, 2011

Chicken, lost in curry...

I haven’t had a recipe post for some time. That’s because I don’t cook at home. With a kitchen equipped with little more than a fridge and a microwave, the recipes I share are ones I grasp either when visiting a friend at the right time and helping prepare something or when I’m given the run of her kitchen.

This was the case a couple of days ago when I popped over just in time to prepare a Chicken Curry Salad.

I’m not keen on chicken. In fact, I try to avoid it. The only exception I occasionally make is for plain boiled chicken breasts -- no sauces, no fuss. But the combination of chicken and curry is yummy.

I am, ashamedly, a big fan of plain food. This maybe dates back to when I used to have lunch at school. I loved the rice, watery soups, spaghetti and especially the couscous we were served at the St. Joseph Convent in Tunis. So much so, that I used to ask for some to take home, to the delight of the nuns.

And during the many months we spent in hospitals with my mum, Vicky, the nurses were always amazed at how I would finish whatever was left on her meal tray.

This Chicken Curry Salad is practical to take to work for lunch in a Tupperware. It’s delicious as a side dish -- with my cabbage and beetroot salad (see “My favorite salad,” 31 August 2010) -- and goes well with potatoes (see “Potatoes, potatos...” of 8 November 2010). So here’s another chicken curry recipe to add to the 9,970,000 others on Google!!!


      Ingredients (serves 4)
  • 2 chicken breasts 
  • 2 or 3 spring onions, or shallots, chopped 
  • 3 tablespoons mayonnaise (I used Lesieur mayonnaise with sunflower oil) 
  • 3 tablespoons yogurt (Al-Ain fresh, full cream) 
  • 2 tablespoons curry paste (Rajah mild curry paste) 
  • 2 teaspoons mango chutney (Sharwood’s smooth mango chutney) 
  • Black pepper 
  • Salt (I don’t use salt) 
  • 3 tablespoons of raisins

      
      Preparation
  • Boil the chicken breasts with a small onion pricked with cloves and a bay leaf 
  • While waiting for the chicken to cool down, mix the ingredients in a bowl 
  • Cut up the chicken breasts, by hand, into mouthful pieces 
  • Combine with the sauce 
  • Sprinkle with black pepper
Bon appétit!



Enhanced by Zemanta