Pages

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

My favorite salad

It's simple, easy to make, nutritious and easy on the pocket. Cabbage and beetroot salad is my favorite!

While chatting with a friend, Ghassan Deeb (@gabdallah), about food on @Twitter last week, I mentioned something about my favorite salad. When Ghassan, who is an engineer, cook and traveler, asked what it was, I didn't want to elaborate before iftar.

Cabbage and beetroot are low in saturated fat but high in dietary fiber and protective vitamins and minerals. Beetroot is also a great source of iron and was used as an aphrodisiac in Roman times.

You can get a cabbage and shred it and fresh beetroot and boil it. I go the easier route of buying the cabbage already shredded and the beetroot cooked, cubed and vacuum packed.


Ingredients (serve 2)
  • 1 box of shredded cabbage (or 250 gm)
  • Half a pack of cubed steamed beetroot (4 small ones or 250 gm)
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • A sprinkle of pepper (I don't use salt, but you can add some to taste)
I usually mix the dressing in a small bowl or jar and pour it over the salad just before serving.

This salad is as good with white, green or red cabbage. It can be turned into light lunch or dinner by adding a can of tuna or two boiled eggs, chicken breast or sausages or any combination of these. And if you're in a mood for sweet-and-sour, add a tablespoon of sugar.

Enjoy and  let me know if you like it.